August 15, 2019, 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm CT / 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm ET
A Patient and Caregiver Safety Update
Workplace violence continues to be a critical Patient Safety AND Caregiver issue. Our industry has 4-5 times the frequency of other sectors. Richard Mereu, Chief Government Relations Officer of Government Relations for the Emergency Nurses Association, will address the key issues in their domain. Chief William Adcox and his colleagues at MD Anderson Cancer Center are global experts in Threat Safety Science that includes workplace violence.
A panel of patient advocates and experts will react to the presentations.
We offer these online webinars at no cost to our participants.
Webinar Video, and Downloads
National Survey Results:
Click here to download the National Survey Results.
Speaker Slide Set:
To view the file, click the desired link (please note: the files may take several minutes to download). To save to your hard drive, right click on the link and choose “Save Target As.” (In some browsers it might say “Save Link As.”)
Registration Information and CE Credit Information
Register: The webinar has previously taken place. See webinar video above.
Webinar date: August 15, 2019
- 01:00 PM to 2:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time
- 12:00 PM to 1:30 PM Central Daylight Time
- 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM Mountain Daylight Time
- 10:00 AM to a1:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time
We are accepting questions now that relate to the session topics. Please e-mail any questions related to the specific session to email@example.com with the session title in the e-mail message header.
- Questions about the Webinar series?
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-473-2370 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. CT.
- Need technical assistance with registration? Call 512-457-7605 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. CT.
- Awareness: Participants will understand and be able to discuss the latest important issues regarding the issue of workplace violence on patient and caregiver safety.
- Accountability: Participants will understand who may be accountable for responding to, and prioritizing, the opportunities for improvement related to workplace violence on patient and caregiver safety.
- Ability: Participants will learn about competencies important to workplace violence and the impact on patient and caregiver safety.
- Action: Participants will learn what actions they may need to take in order to reduce the patient safety and caregiver safety risk related to workplace violence.
CE Participation Documentation
Texas Medical Institute of Technology, approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 15996, will be issuing 1.5 contact hours for this webinar. TMIT is only providing nursing credit at this time.
To request a Participation Document, please click here.
Session Speakers and Panelists
- Nurse.org August 12, 2019; Nurses Say Violent Assaults Against Healthcare Workers Are a Silent Epidemic; https://nurse.org
- Times Standard July 19, 2019; Nurses Voice Concerns About Increased Violence After Two Assaults In 72-hour Period; https://www.times-standard.com
- Modern Healthcare August 10, 2019; When Mass Shootings Occur, Don’t Forget The Caregivers; https://www.modernhealthcare.com
- FOX August 05, 2019; Increasingly Under Attack, Health Care Workers Could Wait Decades For Protections; https://wtov9.com
- National Quality Forum. Safe Practice 1: Culture of Safety Leadership Structures and Systems. IN: Safe Practices for Better Healthcare – 2010 Update: A Consensus Report. Washington, DC: National Quality Forum; 2010. Available at:
- National Quality Forum. Safe Practice 2: Culture Measurement, Feedback, and Intervention. IN: Safe Practices for Better Healthcare – 2010 Update: A Consensus Report. Washington, DC: National Quality Forum; 2010. Available at
- National Quality Forum. Safe Practice 3: Teamwork Training and Skill Building. IN: Safe Practices for Better Healthcare – 2010 Update: A Consensus Report. Washington, DC: National Quality Forum; 2010. Available at
- National Quality Forum. Safe Practice 4: Risks and Hazards. IN: Safe Practices for Better Healthcare – 2010 Update: A Consensus Report. Washington, DC: National Quality Forum; 2010. Available at
- National Quality Forum. Chapter 9: Opportunities for Patient and Family Involvement. IN: Safe Practices for Better Healthcare – 2010 Update: A Consensus Report. Washington, DC: National Quality Forum; 2010. Available at
In the News
- The BMJ July 17, 2019; Prevalence, Severity, And Nature Of Preventable Patient Harm Across Medical Care Settings: Systematic Review And Meta-analysis; https://www.bmj.com
- ProPublica July 19, 2019; Health Insurers Make It Easy For Scammers to Steal Millions. Who Pays? You; https://www.propublica.org
- Modern Healthcare July 18, 2019; Drug Company, Four People Indicted In U.S. Painkiller Probe; https://www.modernhealthcare.com/
- Los Angeles Times July 17, 2019; Drug Overdose Deaths In The U.S. Appear To Be Falling, CDC Data Show; https://www.latimes.com
- NPR July 18, 2019; U.S. Overdose Deaths Dipped In 2018, But Some States Saw ‘Devastating’ Increases; https://www.npr.org/
- The New York Times July 22, 2019; A Layered Approach To Preventing Drowning; https://www.nytimes.com
- US News & World Report July 23, 2019; Child Drowning Rates Drop As Communities Adopt Stricter Building Codes; https://www.usnews.com
- People July 24, 2019; Father Drowns While Heroically Saving Daughters from Riptide in Florida: ‘I Got You’; https://people.com
- The New York Times July 23, 2019; Neil Armstrong’s Death, And a Stormy, Secret $6 Million Settlement; https://www.nytimes.com
- Health Leaders July 29, 2019; How BJC Healthcare Cut Patient Harm Events 75% By Targeting 5 Factors; https://www.healthleadersmedia.com
- People July 27, 2019; Twin Infants Found Dead in Car ‘Foaming at the Mouth’ After Being ‘Forgotten’ Inside All Day; https://people.com
- Modern Healthcare July 25, 2019; Texas Labs To Pay $56 Million To Unitedhealthcare; https://www.modernhealthcare.com
- Modern Healthcare July 29, 2019; CMS Issues Guidance On Services For Moms, Babies With Opioid Disorder; https://www.modernhealthcare.com
- Nurse.com July 19, 2019; Witness Intimidation Allegations Are Risky Business; https://www.nurse.com
- WBTV August 06, 2019; UNC System Head, Former UNC Health Care CEO Didn’t Disclose Corporate Board Seats That Paid Millions On Ethics Forms; https://www.wbtv.com
- JDSUPRA August 06, 2019; California And Illinois Move Forward On Healthcare Laws To Protect Patient Safety; https://www.jdsupra.com
- inewsource August 06, 2019; After Veteran’s Death, Inspector General Finds Numerous Safety Issues At San Diego VA; https://inewsource.org
- The Wall Street Journal August 07, 2019; A New Risk Factor in Corporate Disclosures: Active Shooters; https://www.wsj.com
- The New England Journal of Medicine August 06, 2019; Cluster of Sphingomonas paucimobilis Bacteremias Linked to Diversion of Intravenous Hydromorphone; https://www.nejm.org
- Home Health Care News August 07, 2019; 32% of Employees Quit Jobs to Provide Informal Care at Home; https://homehealthcarenews.com
- Modern Healthcare July 27, 2019; Use Of CXO Role Fades As Other Leaders Take On Responsibilities; https://www.modernhealthcare.com
- Daily Herald August 06, 2019; Governor Signs Bill Aimed At ‘Changing Culture’ In Workplace; https://www.dailyherald.com
- Modern Healthcare August 10, 2019; Female Healthcare Leaders Say Workplace Harassment Is Often Ignored; https://www.modernhealthcare.com
- Heart.org AHA August 12, 2019; A Daughter Makes Lifesaving Plea To 911: Coach Me Through CPR?; https://www.heart.org
- Forbes August 12, 2019; Six Ways To Lower Errors And Unnecessary Surgeries — In Radiology Exams; https://www.forbes.com
- The Seattle Times August 06, 2019; The Power Of Truth: Confidentiality Agreements Embolden Wrongdoers; https://www.seattletimes.com